- This event has passed.
NAMI Basics (7/13 – 8/17)
July 13, 2020 @ 2:00 pm - 4:30 pm EDT
An event every week that begins at 2:00 pm on Monday, repeating until August 17, 2020
NAMI Basics is a free, 6-week class for parents and other family caregivers of children and teens who are showing signs of emotional and/or behavioral difficulties, or who have a mental health diagnosis.
You’ll learn the facts about mental health conditions and how best to support your child at home, at school and when they’re getting medical care. Whether you and your child are dealing with behavioral issues, undiagnosed emotional issues, attention deficit hyperactivity disorder (ADHD), or other diagnoses such as major depression, anxiety disorders, bipolar disorder, oppositional defiant disorder (ODD), conduct disorder, substance use disorders, or more, NAMI Basics will help. The class is taught by trained parents or other primary caregivers who have similar experiences with their own children. Class topics include:
- The trauma of mental illness for the child and family.
- The biology of mental illness: getting an accurate diagnosis.
- The latest research on medical aspects of the illness and advances in treatment.
- An overview of treatment options.
- The impact of a child’s mental illness on the rest of the family (caregivers, siblings, etc.).
- An overview of the systems involved in caring for children and teens and the importance of record keeping.