Family-to-Family is a free, 12-session class for family, significant others and friends of people living with mental illness.
It is a designated evidenced-based program by SAMHSA (Substance Abuse and Mental Health Services Administration). Research shows that the program significantly improves the coping and problem-solving abilities of the people closest to an individual living with a mental health condition. Available to Spanish-speakers as De Familia a Familia.
What You’ll Gain
Family-to-Family is taught by NAMI-trained family members who have been there, and includes presentations, discussion and interactive exercises. The class not only provides critical information and strategies for taking care of the person you love, but you’ll also find out that you’re not alone. Recovery is a journey, and there is hope.
The group setting of Family-to-Family provides mutual support and shared positive impact—you can experience compassion and reinforcement from people who understand your situation. You can also help others through your own experience. In the program, you’ll learn about:
- How to manage crises, solve problems and communicate effectively
- Taking care of yourself and managing your stress
- Developing the confidence and stamina to provide support with compassion
- Finding and using local supports and services
- Up-to-date information on mental health conditions and how they affect the brain
- Current treatments, including evidence-based therapies, medications and side effects
- Schizophrenia, major depression, bipolar disorder, schizoaffective disorder, borderline personality disorder, anxiety disorders, PTSD, and dual diagnosis
- Basics about the brain and mental illness
- Medication review
- The impact of mental illness on the entire family
What People are Saying
“Before I took the course, I felt alone and overwhelmed dealing with my daughter’s mental illness. By taking this course, I have met others who are going through the same things I am and have learned about many resources that I never knew existed.”
“I thought my wife and I knew just about everything there is to know about the system and the illness. Boy, were we wrong. Without a doubt, this is the best support course I have had the privilege of taking part in, bar none.”